Demystifying Blocks and Slopers
This episode is all about one of our favourite bits of kit…blocks!
(or slopers as our lovely American friends call them)
Join us as we discuss what they are, how to make them, how to use them and the different types that we’ve come across in the industry and at home.
Our new favourite definition from Rhinannon Bydawell:
(A block is……)
“a basic pattern that you create so that you don’t have to recreate the wheel every time you make a pattern”
(A block is….)
- The starting point or basis of most new patterns
- The basic body shape with the minimum amount of body ease added in
- The foundation that you build your garment from
- Unique to each company or person
Different Types of Blocks
- Basic blocks (skirt, bodice, dress, trousers etc)
- Tailoring blocks
- Stretch blocks
- Design detail blocks (collars, raglans, etc)
- Basic garment blocks (shirts, corsets etc)
Learning to draft your own blocks:
- Kathryn’s Skirt Block Skillshare class
- Caroline’s Block Drafting Skillshare class
- Kathryn’s in person block drafting classes (sadly postponed until Covid-19 departs but keep an eye on here for classes once we’re all in the clear!)
- Winifred Alrdich’s Metric Pattern Cutting
- Helen Joseph-Armstrong’s Pattern Making for Fashion Design
If you’ve got more block related questions then we would love to hear them or you can check out Kathryn Blog post here.
Is there a topic you’d like us to cover? We’d love to hear from you! Contact Kathryn and Caroline directly with any comments / feedback on email@example.com. Alternatively you can reach out on instagram @fashionhalfcut.
Subscribe to our blog for the latest episodes and bonus blog posts!